Voices of "Tradition": Examining the Socio-Political Role of Women's Music in Gujarat, India
This lecture on Indian music is based on recent research by ethnomusicologist Niyati Dokhai. She completed her Ph.D. at University of Alberta in 2012. Her research was conducted in Gujarat, India, where she was based as a Fulbright scholar in 2009 - 2010. More...
- Mar125pm - 6pmVoices of "Tradition": Examining the Socio-Political Role of Women's Music in Gujarat, IndiaTucker Hall, 127AThis lecture on Indian music is based on recent research by ethnomusicologist Niyati Dhokai.
- Mar14-Mar19Choir Spring TourTBAPerformance tour of the W&M Choir. Conductor - James Armstrong
- Mar159pm-Mar161am[AMP] Game Show NightSadler Center, Lodge 1Come on down to Lodge 1 on March 15th for your chance to be a game show contestant! Games to be played include the Price is Right, Minute to Win It, and Family Feud. Teams of four are recommended, but come with as many people as you would like.
- Mar187pm-Mar206:30pmWim Wenders' Early Films: A SymposiumBlow Memorial Hall, Room 332The German Studies Program of MLL presents a Symposium "Wim Wenders' Early Films" featuring Documentary Filmmaker Marcel Wehn (Berlin) who will screen and present his "One Who Sets Forth: Wim Wenders' Early Years" with discussion to follow.
- Mar208pm - 9:30pmFaculty Concert: Sounds of Spring, Classical to JazzEwell Hall, Ewell Recital HallCelebrate the first day of spring with a concert of classical and jazz, performed by W&M Music faculty. Free admission, no tickets required.Show More...
- Mar208pm - 10pmAn Evening of DancePhi Beta Kappa Memorial HallEvening of Dance is a concert in which students have the opportunity to explore and develop original choreography performed by their peers under the mentorship of W&M Dance faculty.
- Mar218pm - 10pmAn Evening of DancePhi Beta Kappa Memorial HallEvening of Dance is a concert in which students have the opportunity to explore and develop original choreography performed by their peers under the mentorship of W&M Dance faculty.
- Mar228pm - 10pmAn Evening of DancePhi Beta Kappa Memorial HallEvening of Dance is a concert in which students have the opportunity to explore and develop original choreography performed by their peers under the mentorship of W&M Dance faculty.
- Mar237:30pmEwell Concert Series: Borromeo String QuartetWilliamsburg Library Theatre$10/general public, $5/students, tickets at the door.
- Apr26:30pm - 8pmA Scientist Walks Into A Bar...Park Lane Tavern 4200 Kilgore Ave. Hampton, VAJoin VIMS Marine Scientist Rob Hale for good food, good times, and casual conversations on relevant environmental topics at the second monthly "A Scientist Walks into A Bar..." event at Park Lane Tavern in Hampton.
- Apr48pm - 9pmWilliam & Mary Chamber Winds Spring ConcertWren Building, Great HallJoin the W&M Chamber Winds in a performance featuring the finest music for small wind ensembles. Music of Mozart and R. Strauss. Dr. Paul Bhasin conducts.
- Apr62pm - 3pmWind Ensemble Outdoor ConcertLake Mataoka AmphitheaterThe W&M Wind Ensemble continues its tradition of performing classics for band in the beautiful Lake Mataoka Amphitheater. Patriotic works, College spirit classics, and marches make up the program. Dr. Paul Bhasin conducts. Free.
- Apr87:30pm - 9:30pmW&M Middle Eastern Music Ensemble Concert with Howard LevyKimball TheatreW&M's versatile and adventuresome Middle Eastern Music Ensemble charts new territory from traditional Andalousi to North African chanson to Egyptian Cabbaret. Join us for our international tour fundraiser with world class harmonica virtuoso Howard Levy.
- Apr94pm - 5:15pmThe Case of Julie LaVerne: How Performers Remade Race in "Show Boat"Tucker Hall, 127AJoin us for a lecture by Dr. Todd Decker of University of Washington - St. Louis on the musical "Show Boat" as he explains the role of Julie, a mixed-race character called upon to give voice to her racial identity in the song "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man."Show More...
- Apr108pm - 10pm
- Apr118pm - 10pm
- Apr128pm - 9pmEarly Music Ensemble: Baroque Chamber Music on Period InstrumentsBruton Parish ChurchMusic by baroque composers (Bach, Handel, Krebs, Fasch) played on period instruments such as baroque flute, recorder, viola da gamba, and harpsichord.
- Apr128pm - 10pm
- Apr132pmBotetourt Chamber Singers Spring ConcertWren Building, Great Hall
- Apr132pm - 4pm
- Apr137:30pm - 8:30pmW&M Jazz Ensemble Spring ConcertKimball TheatreThe W&M Jazz Ensemble plays a concert featuring student and faculty soloists in classic and contemporary jazz ensemble works. Dr. Paul Bhasin directs. Tickets are $5 general admission and free for W&M students with ID and children under 12.
- Apr228:30pm - 9:30pmFrench Style Opera RecitalEwell Hall, Ewell Recital HallThis event will follow the Students in Performance concert. Several French opera arias and art songs will be performed by Sarah Falls, Sophia Farion, Andreas Moffett, Sophia Mortensen, and Ethan Roday.
- Apr248pmChoral Spring ConcertPhi Beta Kappa Memorial HallPerformance by the W&M Choir, Women's Chorus, and Botetourt Chamber Singers. Tickets available at the PBK Box Office at (757) 221-2674 and online. Online purchase requires a $1 service charge. Conductor - James Armstrong Conductor - Jamie Bartlett
- Apr264pm - 5pmWind Ensemble Spring ConcertPhi Beta Kappa Memorial HallThe Wind Ensemble presents a program featuring Grainger's ode to folk songs of the British Isles, "Lincolnshire Posy," as well as Gustav Mahler's "Um Mitternacht" for mezzo-soprano and winds. Dr. Paul Bhasin directs.All events in April 2014
- Feb2710am-Mar275pmAndrews Gallery: Martha T. Jones: Poem Paintings & Other WorksAndrews Hall, Andrews GalleryAndrews Gallery and the Department of Art & Art History invite you to join us for: Poem Paintings and Other Works by Martha T. Jones Feb 27 - Mar 27, 2014 Reception: Fri, Feb 28, 4 - 6 p Exhibitions and receptions are free and open to the public.
|Calendar View List View Today|