- May37pm - 8pmMay After Hours Lecture: Hokule'aVIMS - Watermen's Hall, McHugh AuditoriumJoin us as native Hawaiian navigators describe the rediscovered art of wayfinding and explore how to set a course for a sustainable future.
- May42pm - 4pmScience Under Sail: Hokule'aOff-Campus, Embarks from Yorktown WaterfrontJoin us as a crew member of the Polynesian voyaging canoe Hokule'a--docked in Yorktown on its round-the-world sail--shares how anyone can be a navigator of our "island Earth." VIMS staff will help broaden the discussion of ocean sustainability.
- May47:30pm - 8:30pmVIMS Wachapreague Public Seminar: An Invasion - Lionfish in the Gulf of MexicoVIMS - Seaside Hall (Eastern Shore Laboratory)Join Dr. William Patterson of the Dauphin Island Sea Lab as he discusses how these beautiful yet poisonous fish have quickly adapted to their new home, the negative impacts that are concerning scientists, and the limitations of controlling these invaders
- May182pm - 4pmScience Under Sail: OystersOff-Campus, Embarks from Yorktown WaterfrontJoin Jessica Small, assistant director of the Aquaculture Breeding and Technology Center at VIMS, to learn about oysters in Chesapeake Bay and how VIMS scientists selectively breed these bivalves for fast growth and disease resistance.
- May2110am - 3pmMarine Science DayVIMS - Watermen's Hall, Watermen's Hall Watermen's Visitor CenterJoin us in Gloucester Point for our annual open house. All activities are free, as is parking. The event proceeds rain or shine. This year’s theme is Sounds of the Sea.Show More...
- May252pm - 4pmScience Under Sail: Fishes big and smallOff-Campus, Embarks from Yorktown WaterfrontGraduate student Cindy Marin Martinez of the Virginia Institute of Marine Science will cast a net to see what’s swimming beneath the Alliance. Learn about larval fishes of the York River and how scientists track the fishes populations.
- Jun216pm - 8pmDiscovery Lab: Plant AdaptationsVIMS - Catlett-Burruss Research and Education LabJoin us for this family-friendly event and learn how plants have adapted in Chesapeake Bay to live on land or in the water and how they find food and grow.
- Jun307pm - 8pmJune After Hours Lecture - The shocking truth about sharksVIMS - Watermen's Hall, McHugh AuditoriumJoin us as fish physiologist Richard Brill describes the successes and challenges of his team’s attempts to develop practical methods to deter sharks from fishing gear.
- Jul287pm - 8pmJuly After Hours Lecture: BillfishVIMS - Watermen's Hall, McHugh AuditoriumJoin VIMS professor John Graves as he explores how satellite tagging of billfish helps to better understand the magnitude of post-release mortality and develop measures to promote survival.All events in July 2016
|Calendar View List View Today|
This calendar presented by Virginia Institute of Marine Science