[PAST EVENT] Opening Convocation
Access & Features
- Free food
On the first day of classes, faculty, staff and students gather at the Sir Christopher Wren Building to signify the beginning of the academic year and to officially welcome all of our entering William & Mary students.
At the conclusion of the ceremony each year, the official party leads those in attendance around the building to the opposite side. According to our tradition, all students who are new to W&M remain at the ceremony site with the university President. Then, at the tolling of the Wren Building bell, the President leads the group in a special procession through the portico of the building to the other side, where the new students are warmly welcomed by current members of the faculty, staff and student body. A festive campus-wide picnic dinner follows for the entire campus community.
Not unlike the Commencement exercises which mark the close of an academic session, this ceremony is a time of affirming and enhancing the sense of community which exists at William & Mary. It is a time of achieving focus, of highlighting themes we know to be important to our current condition, and of reaffirming those things we value and share. We welcome you to join us each fall as we honor our newest William & Mary students!
Not able to join us on-campus? Watch the event live!
This Event Appears On
- W&M Featured Events
- Law School Events
- Raymond A. Mason School of Business Events
- Flex MBA Events
- Jefferson Orientation Schedule
- Transfers & More Orientation Events
- Yates Orientation Schedule
- Botetourt Orientation Schedule
- Brown Orientation Schedule
- MBA for Working Professionals Events
- Green & Gold Village Orientation Schedule
- Taliaferro Orientation Schedule
- Hunt Orientation Schedule
- Monroe Orientation Schedule
- First Year Experience Events
- Reves Orientation Schedule